A child is a person under the age of 18 years. Under this age, a child is supposed to be protected from all forms of abuse like child labor, child sex abuse, child sacrifice among others.
The 1995 Ugandan constitution provides the policy framework for all children under the age of 18 years to be protected from all forms of exploitation and should not be employed or perform work that is likely to be hazardous or interfere with their education or harmful to their health.
In Uganda most children are engaged in child labor, they don’t go to school, their rights are violated which calls for protection. Children are involved in jobs which are harmful to their health. They are forced into labor because they are orphans and in most cases do not have someone to take care of them that is how majority end up working as a way of earning a living. Some children are from poor families thus cannot get a right to education, love, care and support.
ELOI Ministries believes that every child has a right to be cared for and protected irrespective of their race, age, background, religion and gender. It has done this through sponsoring some children, provision of scholastic materials like books, pens, pencils, uniforms etc
To promote and protect children’s right in accordance to the 1995 constitution of Uganda in order to raise responsible citizens of Uganda
- To promote gender equality in the area of education
- To provide education services and materials to the under privileged children such as orphans, street children etc.
- Sponsoring children in education that is to say giving tuition to theunderprivileged
- Donation of scholastic materials like books, pencils, pens and uniforms etc.
- Offering accelerated learning programsto school dropouts.
- Train teachers and parents on gender related matters
- Children are expected to learn how to read and write.
- The education gap between boys and girls is expected to be bridged.
- Children are expected to be enjoying their rights.