People With Disability
Published: 26 April 2018
CAPACITY BUILDING PROJECT
People with disabilities (PWDS) have been estimated to make up about 16% of the population of Uganda according to the 2002 Population census. PWDS have been found to be one of the poorest in the country due to lack of access to opportunities such as employment, education, housing and health (http://www.ilo.org/.../wcms_115099.pdf). The government has presented laws to support the rights of PWDS in Uganda however the adoption of these policies has been slow (http://ugandaradionetwork.com/a/story.php?s=55864). It is for this reason that issues concerning PWDS have persisted in Uganda.
Eloi ministries have come up with this project to help PWDS to live sustainable lives and to access opportunities for self-development.
The aim of this project is to empower PWDS with knowledge and skills necessary to assist them have independent and productive lives.
- To raise awareness of the rights of PWDS
- To increase self-esteem and confidence among PWDS
- To empower PWDS with life skills
- To impart business knowledge and skills to PWDS
- • To reduce the dependency of PWDS on other people
- Confidence building workshops
- Business training seminars
- Mentorship programs
- Financial literacy training
- Increased confidence levels among PWDS
- Manufacture of products for sale
- Increased income for PWDS
- Empowerment of PWDS
- Increased independence of PWDS
- Increased awareness of the rights of PWDS
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
- Performance surveys
- Focus group discussions